When we look at food there is some we consider healthy and some we consider naughty.
- It is a fact of life that there are going to be times in our lives when we should eat naughty foods.
- Celebrations, parties, maybe just friends over.
- Instead of telling yourself off when you eat any food you consider naughty you should make sure that before you eat them you feed your body something nutritious.
- Then the next meal or the next day you start eating healthy again.
- When deciding how much to eat think how much you need to feel satisfied. I have seen people scarf down food without tasting it. How can you enjoy what you are eating if you eat so quick that you can’t taste it? Remembering another meal?
Whatever the reason if you eat naughty food quickly you need to slow down.
It is called mindful eating.
Put your utensils down while chewing, think about how the food tastes, the texture. Chew the food completely, that takes a bit of time.
Some people follow the 20/20 rule or one like it, chew 20 time or for 20 seconds or whatever they are following. I found that I was not enjoying eating when I did that. I was concentrating on counting chews or watching the timer.
Now I concentrate on the food that I am eating. Enjoying it. Yes this takes longer but I am so much more satisfied with what I have eaten that when I eat cake or chocolate this way I eat less but enjoy it so much more.
I call it having a foodgasm. Try it over the holidays to see if it makes a difference to your enjoyment and the amounts you eat before you are full.